What Causes Sciatica, and How to Tell If You Need Sciatica Treatment
The sciatica nerve is the largest nerve bundle in the human body – and you have two of them!
The nerves in this bundle extend throughout the lower body, from the lower lumbar spine, through the buttock muscle, to the toes.
It’s no wonder that when you experience sciatic nerve compression, the result is a lot of pain.
Today, you’ll learn about what causes sciatic nerve compression and discover how a Denville chiropractor can ease your pain with a sciatica treatment.
What Causes Sciatica Pain?
Dr. Michael Irhin wants to discover the root cause of your pain. Understanding that will provide him with the information he needs to treat your condition and provide long-term relief.
The most common reasons you might experience sciatica pain include:
- A bulging or herniated disc
- Lumbar spinal stenosis (spinal canal narrowing)
- Piriformis syndrome (spasms of the piriformis buttock muscle)
- Spondylolisthesis (a slipped vertebrae causing bone on bone pain)
- A spinal tumor
How do you know if you need chiropractic sciatica treatment? Watch for these symptoms:
- Radiating pain from your lower back down the back of your leg
- Buttock pain
- Lower back pain
- Worsening pain when you sneeze or cough
- A burning or sharp pain sensation
- Pain that feels like an electric shock
- Pain in only one leg
- Tingling, numbness, or muscle weakness in your leg or foot
- Sudden, severe pain or muscle weakness
- Pain following trauma (like an auto accident)
- Difficulty controlling your bladder or bowels
If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your Denville chiropractor right away.
How Chiropractic Sciatica Treatment in Denville Can Ease Your Pain
Your Denville chiropractor will create a sciatica treatment plan focused on easing or eliminating nerve compression.
When the spine is out of alignment, it causes tension and strain in your muscles, tendons, and ligaments, and may also cause inflammation. All of these put pressure on the sciatic nerve.
In addition to spinal adjustments, your chiropractor may recommend:
- Physical therapy
- Sciatica stretches
With immediate treatment, symptoms can improve within four to six weeks.
Over 20 Years of Experience at Your Disposal
Dr. Irhin has nearly 20+ years of experience in chiropractic training and continuing education. He stays up to date with the latest techniques to find the best therapies for his patients.
Do you think the pain you’re experiencing is sciatica? Call us right away at 973-366-3335 to book your appointment with Dr. Irhin.